2018 Youth Leadership Forum
July 18-22, 2018
Proudly hosted by
The Florida Association of Centers for Independent Living
in financial partnership with
Department of Education Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Calling all Leaders! If you are an energetic, motivated and driven person with a disability between the ages of 16-19 this program may be for you! We are providing exciting opportunities today, so that you may help change the world tomorrow. Please join us on this journey.
WHAT IS YOUTH LEADERSHIP FORUM?
The Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (YLF) is a unique leadership-training program for high school students with disabilities. By serving as delegates from their communities at a four-day event in the state capital, young people with disabilities cultivate leadership, citizenship, and social skills.
WHAT KIND OF ACTIVITIES WILL I PARTICIPATE IN?
- YLF Delegates will learn how laws are made and how to successfully advocate for new laws. They will visit the Capitol, meet legislators, and participate in a mock legislative session.
- YLF delegates will learn what it means to be a leader and will learn new ways to increase their leadership abilities. Each delegate will develop a “Personal Leadership Plan” which provides an individual action plan to begin using their new skills to advocate for themselves and others when they return to their communities.
- YLF delegates will improve their self advocacy skills and develop disability pride by learning about the history of the Independent Living Movement, how to promote disability awareness, and how to access community resources and assistive technologies that lead to independence.
- YLF delegates will learn pre-employment transition skills, and explore careers in various fields, while on field trips around Tallahassee.
- YLF delegates will have fun! Delegates will participate in social interactions enabling students with different abilities to network and develop new relationships. We are looking forward to this year’s talent show, dance and “Dining Like Dignitaries” formal dinner!
WHO MAY APPLY?
Florida students aged 16-19 and enrolled in a high school education program (public, private, ,virtual, GED, homeschool) are invited to apply. Each student must have a diagnosed disability at the time of application. We are a cross-disability organization and welcome applications from individuals with any type of disability.
It is expected that participants will reflect a diverse mix of disabilities, gender, ethnicity and geographic location within Florida. . Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through participation in school, extracurricular activities and/or community involvement.
Applicants must have the ability to interact effectively with other students, adapt to new surroundings, follow an intense schedule of forum activities, and demonstrate a willingness to actively participate in small and large group discussions.
Selected students must show proof of health insurance (private insurance, year-round school insurance, Cover Florida, KidsCare or Medicaid is acceptable).