Building a home that is easily navigated by a person in a wheelchair to most comes from a basic design of accessibility. There are many things that can make a home accessible. These are just a few of the most basic design elements that should be considered.
- 36" is minimum width that external doorways should be to accommodate wheelchairs
- 60"x60" is the ideal turnaround space for wheelchairs. Allow this much room around tables and furniture.
- 32" is the ideal counter top height for those in chairs and of short stature
- 15" is the lowest that plugs and controls should be installed on the walls
- 48" is the highest that plugs and controls should be installed on the wall.
Please use these guidelines and more when planning your home. Be welcoming to all guests with all abilities!